Post by Deleted on Aug 26, 2019 7:17:02 GMT -5
Our pies are filled with a rich mixture of chicken, artichoke hearts, onions, and peas, and topped with flaky pie crust. If desired, they can be decorated with hearts cut from the scraps of dough and attached to the crust with an egg wash.
3 whole chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds each), bone-in, skin on
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for sprinkling
1 quart homemade or canned chicken stock
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onion (2 medium onions)
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 nine-ounce packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved lengthwise
1 1/2 cups (about 7 ounces) frozen peas
1 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) frozen small, whole onions
1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet, and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place in oven, and roast until cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and, when cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and skin, and cut into 1-inch dice. Set aside.
2. Combine the chicken stock and bouillon cubes in a medium saucepan, and heat, making sure bouillon cubes have dissolved. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté until translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the flour, and cook on low heat, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add the reserved hot chicken stock, and let simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 3 minutes more. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, heavy cream, artichoke hearts, peas, whole onions, parsley, Parmesan cheese, and reserved chicken; mix well.
4. Divide chicken mixture among six 5 1/2-inch ovenproof bowls; set aside to cool. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thick. Cut three circles from each, making a round slightly larger than the top of each bowl. Brush outside rim of bowl with egg wash, place a round of dough over each bowl, fold the dough over the top, and trim edges about 1 inch below the top. Repeat until all the bowls are covered in dough.
5. Brush the tops with egg wash; make two or three slits in the top of each with a sharp knife. Sprinkle tops with salt; bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
Yield: Makes six 5 1/2-inch individual pies
Pies may be made a day or two ahead, refrigerated unbaked, and cooked just before dinner.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2001
Web Page: www.marthastewart.com/318819/chicken-and-artichoke-heart-potpie
Copyright: ©2019, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. All Rights Reserved.