Here is a recipe for plain and simple homemade vanilla pudding. It’s great on its own in two cute little cups or tucked into a graham cracker crust with whipped cream on top.
Ingredients 1 1/4 cup milk 1/2 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup sugar 2 tablespoons cornstarch 1/8 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 tablespoon butter
Procedure 1. In a medium glass bowl, add the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir lightly with a whisk to blend.
2. Then, slowly pour in 1/4 cup of the cream and whisk vigorously to dissolve the sugar and cornstarch. Add the last of the cream slowly, still whisking.
3. Add the milk slowly and whisk very well to ensure all the dry ingredients are dissolved.
4. Pour the milk and cream mixture into a saucepan and turn the stove onto medium. Bring the pudding to a simmer while constantly stirring with a wooden spoon. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the saucepan during cooking.
5. Once the pudding starts to gently simmer, turn the heat to low and cook another 1 minute. Turn off the heat, and then stir in the butter and vanilla.
6. Pour the mixture into 2 small cups, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. If you don’t like a pudding skin, press the plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding before chilling.
Yield: 2 SMALL BOWLS OF PUDDING
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Inactive Time: 4 hours Total Time: 4 hours and 20 minutes